Imitation is the greatest form of flattery…or something like that, right? I’ve been on a U2 kick lately, as you may or may not be surprised to hear if you read this blog (see previous post). Going through my U2 playlist on iTunes, which is currently standing at 41 songs, I can listen over and over to many of the tunes and a spark is lit inside me each time. However, sometimes it’s nice to break and just give something else a listen. Then I jumped to the Veils, and it got me thinking, “what are some songs that feel like U2 to me…can I make a list?” So, with that in mind, here’s a shot at a playlist of modern(ish) songs in the vein of U2. Some are more known than others, but each one reminds me of U2 for one reason or another – either the subject matter, the marching beat or just a general feel that song evokes. If you like U2, hopefully you’ll dig these songs. If not, what do I know, I’m just a dude with a blog and a bunch of music.
Love to hear your thoughts or other artists or songs that you think fit the vibe.
1. Nux Vomica – The Veils (Nux Vomica)
2. Oil and Water – Incubus (Light Grenades)
3. Champion – The Chevin (Borderland)
4. Letters from the sky – Civil Twilight (Civil Twilight)
5. Thief – Our Lady Peace (Happiness is not a fish you can catch)
6. Forever – Paparoach (The Paramour Sessions)
7. America – Razorlight (Razorlight)
8. Message in the sand – A Silent Film (New Year – EP)
9. Sweet troubled soul – Stellastar* (Harmonies for the Haunted)
10. From the stars – White Lies (To Lose My Life)
11. Firelight – Young the Giant (Mind Over Matter)
12. Nightwatchmen – Bell X1 (Bloodless Coup)